Friday, June 26, 2009

Only a Cultural Norm (Part Two)

Stepping into a different culture is like meeting a new person. There are first impressions, stereotypes, and misunderstandings. But then, as you get to know the person, you realize that the person is far more complex than you first thought, and that there are reasons behind how he or she acts. You then learn how to really care for the person through relationship…spending time together, learning to listen, and going through life—the tough and fun and the sad and happy etc. How you express love to that person may look different than how you express love to another friend.

Living in another culture has been like meeting a new friend for me this past month (oh my goodness it has been a month!!). I spent a lot of time this week trying to define how love looks like here in India but found myself, stumped. But I think I’m glad I’m stumped…if within a week I could, by myself, figure out how love stands amidst cultural norms, then I’d be belittling the complexity of culture and love. A thank you to those who have given me advice about this topic this past week and pointed me to look at how Jesus lived in the same situations. Interestingly, there were times Jesus acted against and in light of cultural norms. So I guess, to put a blanket statement on how to act while living in an almost opposite culture overlooks TOO many things. I really hate being vague like that, but maybe this topic wasn’t meant to be explained in writing. Maybe I’ll live a little, stop thinking so much, and see what comes next…

Anyway....time for a tangent!! Haha, so one of the most enjoyable things that have been happening here for me in Chennai is spending time with the other volunteers. All of the volunteers are within a two-year age range and all except me are pretty much on the pre-med track (go public health!!) So I love saying something nerdy and not having someone give me an “I-can’t-believe-you-said-that” glance :P. They have all been my go-to people while living in this completely different country and a place where I’ve found people who really understand. We’ve been able to experience the life here in Chennai together whether visiting the local malls, exploring the different restaurants, having awesome conversations, watching Tamil movies, or even learning some traditional dances :D Seriouslyyy one of the biggest blessings while being here.

Yeeeepp so, reaching the halfway point in my stay here in India, which is ridiculously fast. Missing home of course, but appreciation is growing, as I know more and more about this place. Until next time :) Vanakam!! (Good dayyy)

No comments:

Post a Comment