Saturday, June 20, 2009

Only a Cultural Norm

Culture is an interesting thing. It affects lifestyles, brings about diversity, creates a variety of GREAT tasting food :P and of course touches upon many other things. What I’m trying to unravel today though, is how much does culture actually DEFINE us as human beings so that it constricts us rather than individualizes us.

For those reading this, don’t worry I won’t go into some IN-DEPTH analytical observation of culture and its affects. Instead, I will just recount something that happened this past week that I can’t quite get out of my mind.

On the way back from an eye camp this week, the van that I sat in contained more passengers than there were seats. Inside the van were the staff, volunteers, and the patients from the village we visited (usually patients are brought from the village to the city so that they can get a proper eye examination). Because there were not enough seats, two of the patients, ladies well above the age of 60, had to sit on the van floor. I noticed, fidgeted in my seat a little, thinking what I should do, and asked one of the other volunteers if she and I wanted to switch seats with the two patients.

One and half hours later, one of the elderly patients, still sitting on the van floor was throwing up in small plastic bag while her friend tried to fan cool air in her face with a scrap piece of paper. How in the world did the situation end like this…

Basically, I was told I should not switch my seat with these elderly patients. Why? First, I had paid for the transportation and the patients had not. Second, the patients were in a lower caste system compared to us, and would not want to sit in my seat. Third, the staff would not approve. When I got that response I sat in my seat, frustrated at the system of things, but then decided to let it go, flipped through my magazine and dozed off. It was the sound of the patient throwing up that woke me up, and it was then that it hit me what had just happened.

Before I go on, I admit that what happened that day was not some life-threatening dramatic encounter, but what motivates me want to blog about this is the broader implications. Anyway, my question to myself is, “Sarah, is it enough to just be frustrated or angry at the system of things?” When I was told about this cultural norm at the beginning of that ride, the “don’t-want-to-cause-conflict” side of me took over, as I didn’t want to belittle the person who expressed to me this cultural knowledge, cause any inconvenient commotion, or disrespect an ingrained lifestyle.

Yet, the sight of that elderly woman, sick as a dog, on the floor right next to me, begs me to think differently. SURE, maybe there was some cultural norm at work, but why wasn’t I convicted enough to at least stand up, talk to one of the staff reason it out, and at least not be lazy, and at least not care if offended my friend who informed me of this norm, to let this lady have a decent ride back to the city. I mean, if I can survive GOLIATH at six flags, then riding on the van floor is far from a problem for me. SIGH! Anyway, I promise I am not being too hard on myself. That is not the point of this blog. Nor is the point for you to think that I am so caring or what not to be considerate of those patients. Far from that. What I’m trying to address here in myself and what I’ve seen to control other people is a restraining of LOVE when it is inconvenient or when it might push against a cultural norm. Is culture so strong as to not see the plain LOGIC of how a 60 year old should have a seat over a 20 year old? (Please tell me if my logic is tainted). Is culture so strong as to keep love from flowing when love might be offensive? Perhaps it’s not a question of the strength of culture but a question of the strength of human love. Dang, God we need help.

ok so, everything above i wrote a couple days ago and copy/pasted using a usb drive. sorry for the break in thought haha. but, um "only a cultural norm part 2" will be coming soon. no idea how much culture could actually affect the lives of the volunteers here. be back soon

3 comments:

  1. That's hard... I totally feel you.
    I think sometimes though...
    I've learned.. That me going with my gut instinct is.. Usually the best. Otherwise I would not be able to share all the love I possibly can with no regrets.. I don't know though.
    Know I'm encouraged by you though, Sarah!
    and I'm keeping you in my prayers. <3
    I hope you have many more blessed experiences there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw sarah, this was a heartbreaking post. It's so hard to figure out whether we should follow the rules or our hearts. Remember that God's going to guide your decisions, so don't worry! I'm still thinking about you and praying. <3333

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of jesus :) like, i think when he healed the lepers, the fact that he healed them wasnt the most loving thing, it was the fact that he touched them. no one touched lepers; it went against the system, the logic, and the norms of the day. healing was the result of the love given in jesus' touch. but i understand the tension, esp since we're not as hardcore as jesus haha.

    ReplyDelete