Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Art of Adjusting?

Is there such thing? I feel that there should be. Just like any other art or skill, adjusting takes time and practice and frustration. And then, after the adjusting period, something cool usually comes out. So…if there WAS such an art, then looking back at the past month, I’d say that I’m still an amateur.

But enough with the analogy, essentially…being here in India has been constant adjustment for me. It’s been one of the common themes throughout the trip. Why am I reminded of it today? Well, today is July, which means all the old volunteers who have been here have left and a new set of volunteers has arrived (as mentioned in the previous blog). All the new volunteers seem pretty cool (two from socal, two from east coast, and one from norway) and I’m excited to know them more, but sometimes…I honestly get tired of always being challenged. I miss familiarity and closeness and comfort.

So change is not my favorite thing in the world, and I’m sure many would agree with me. Entering into my second month here has really forced me to realize who/what I turn to whenever change happens. I find myself looking for comfort in listening to my ipod, or journaling, or going on the Internet, or imagining being home. I know that none of the things listed above are bad in themselves, but I know I’m settling for less. I’m forced to realize whether, really, God is my greatest treasure. Do I realize the constancy I already have?

Rereading Nouwen’s book, In the Name of Jesus, has helped me understand this topic more specifically. In the following quote he talks about contemplative prayer—prayer which roots our identity in God’s unchanging love:

“Through contemplative prayer we can keep ourselves from being pulled from one urgent issue to another and from becoming strangers to our own heart and God’s heart…Contemplative prayer deepens in us the knowledge that we are already free, that we have already found a place to dwell, that we already belong to God, even though everything and everyone around us keep suggesting the opposite.”

Man, I want to realize that kind of constancy. I mean this blog is a testimony to my slight bipolar-ness…where my outlook sways with the consequences of the day. Overall, these thoughts of wanting what I don’t have immediately have kept me from realizing what the present moment has to offer. I mean, seriously, someone needs to knock me in the head and remind me I’m in INDIA. If I’m always thinking of what I’m missing out on, then I’m already missing out…to bluntly put it.

 

Hm anyway, to change the topic a bit, I realize I don’t inform people at home actually what goes on here that much. So, for those interested in my whereabouts and doings here’s a quick summary of the past week…

-Had an eye camp at one of the colleges here in Chennai yesterday (school is already in session!)…got to meet and take visual acuity of people my own age. Pretty exciting interacting with them all J

-Went to the beach again and played cricket for the first time…the other volunteers and I gave the locals a good laugh as they watched our poorly attempted game :P

-Drank unadulterated coconut juice right from the coconut itself…don’t take my word for it cuz I may have just chosen a bad coconut…basically tasted more like warm water to me. Not a fan, I prefer the sweetened version thank you.

-Got to perform “surgery” on a goat’s eye and tried to emulate the ophthalmologist doing cataract surgery…..though by the end of it, I think I actually GAVE the goat a cataract, not quite the successful surgery J

-Had dinner with ANOOP! Fellow RBer/Berkeley friend J


That is all for now! Much to learn, much to see, much to still live for.. 

4 comments:

  1. mmm encouraging post sarah & i love your quote on contemplative prayer..haha that book seems to be packed with good quotes. so good to hear about what you're doing & i can't believe you met up with anoop! thats awesome..i'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. been in touch with your blogs, and enjoying them immensely!you have the gift of "the PEN" cultivate it.u r wise, 'know thyself' as the sage would suggest. Jesus left the splendor of His glory to be one of us, His ear remained 'in tune'to His Father's will. Like Nouwen, in solitude and listening to the Father we come to know the Holy Spirit given to us. Enjoy His presence wherever u r.....He speaks in a still small voice.....u r child of the King:)Lovingly,the Cheungs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    First off, I MISS YOU SO! I'm sure you'll make new friends with the volunteers. But don't forget about me!!!! Also, has it rained yet in good ol' Chennai?

    Unadulterated coconut water is the total best. You have to get it cold though. My grandfather normally gets me some from our land, and darn, it's yummy! I wish I went with you and Deepa for nom nom coconut water. :p

    Anyways, keep posting. I'll most definitely be keeping touch with your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, that comment was from me (Amitha) :D

    ReplyDelete