Monday, June 6, 2011

The Learning Teacher

This blog has served multiple purposes it seems. At times I have themes, like India or quotes. At times it serves to just be an avenue where I can write out recent realizations that happened to occur when I'm actually willing to write and not be lazy. And since the beginning, the title of this blog has transformed to fit all these multiple purposes. I'm glad I chose such a vague title as, "eyes to see." :P

Today, I'd like to introduce a new theme that will carry throughout the summer. This blog will document my time teaching at a school in San Francisco for the next two months. My belief in education as a tool to bring change in social justice issues is strong, and this summer I want take a dip into what it actually takes!

Logistically, I will be teaching science to 5th graders with a team of other college students from around the U.S. The program I'm working with specifically targets high-achieving, low-income students. It focuses on this particular group because most often than not, students who are academically capable face specific challenges because of their socio-economic background that must be recognized. Without intentional support in the current U.S. educational system, many of these students fall out of paths toward college compared with students coming from higher-income homes.

I received an email recently of the orientation week schedule, and took a deep breath. :] The hours are long, but I have a pretty certain feeling all this will be worth it. I'm hoping to blog at least 1-2 times a week until the end of this program. In the end, I also hope explore the intersections between God, education, and my passions as a teacher.

I will come in as a teacher, but oh my, there is so much to learn :] Excited.


1 comment:

  1. yay! i want to both read about it and hear about it in person when we hang out in sf. :)

    ReplyDelete